Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Aion going F2P

Aion: Free to Play in February
I have to admit that this does excite me a bit, I played the cbt of Aion and back then it had great potential and my expectations were perhaps too high and of course I ended up let down mainly due to the fact that the gameplay as you start to rise (As early as the teens actually) turns into a typical grind like practically all games from back east. Lots of backtracking for quests even though I'm supposed to be a bad ass angel (An Angel that had to buy some angelic Pumas because of all the backtracking for typical kill X rats and fetch Y fire beetle eyes), it also seemed to force grouping early on if you wanted to progress in the grind at any kind of a decent pace which is something that rubs me the wrong way and was giving me Evverquest flashbacks. It was quite frustrating because I wanted to like it so much, the backstreet about the warring angels was such a great concept and it made you want to see more and progress to the point where you feel as though your actions made a difference. The combat system was typical which some neat twists such as YOUR A FRICKIN ANGEL AND COULD DO AERIAL COMBAT which is beyond awesome but you had to wait before you could do the cool stuff, iirc you didnt get your wings til lvl 10 or 15 I don't remember, also the combat itself had built in combos as in moves that only activated after a specific condition was met such as a certain move was performed or the target dodged/blocked, your position around the target and more and when one of these was triggered the next move in the combo popped up in the center of the screen so even a nub could enjoy cool looking angel ass kicking and when I say cool looking you have no idea. In a pre Skyrim/Battlefield 3 world I have to admit that Aion was a work of art and seeing it in motion on a decent rig was a sight to behold and im sure they have been improving and optimizing the engine so im sure in the looks department Aion will not disappoint and last but not least the game featured a heavy pvp component with 3 factions (sorta) which is something very very few mmos have accomplished, the only 2 I can think of are Dark Age of Camelot! (its a model) and Planetside1/2) but there is a catch. The third pvp faction is made up of npcs, so yeah not perfect but it does add something to the mix of your usual A vs Business conflict. After as you can see the game does not sound bad at all but it came out while I was still very happy with wow and did not feel the need to pay for another game that honestly im not gonna play so i passed on it after beta. Now that its going free to play you can bet your ass I'm going to get up in it and everyone that enjoys deep rich lore, supposedly solid pvp, beautiful graphics and scenery and did I mention you get to be a bad ass angel? There is nothing new from the standard holy Trinity setup of classes tank/dps/healer with some classes having cc abilities and while this system is old it does indeed work so why fix what isn't broken, and its clear that NCsoft did not set out to reinvent the wheel but they did throw out a decent little title that should be a blast if my wallet isn't getting a little lighter.
V

No comments: